20 Feb Cost Accountant – Chowan County, NC
Leading manufacturing company in northeastern North Carolina is seeking an experienced Cost Accountant. This position will perform accounting and financial functions requiring thorough knowledge of cost accounting methods, principles and practices in a manufacturing environment. Responsible for accuracy and accountability of cost accounting records – including analysis and development of raw material and finished good standard costs as well as review of and reconciliation of inventories. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics mandatory, ideally seeking candidates with 10 years or more of accounting or related experience.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure accurate and complete product and part standards (Material, Labor, Burden and Service) while also reporting with clarity on variances to the established standards – including visibility into root causes of variances and action plans developed through collaboration with Engineering and Operations to manage future variances.
- Review monthly Work in Process and Shipped work orders to ensure parts are fully costed, that costs are accurate, and any variances are clearly understood and reported.
- Collaborate with Materials Management team on periodic inventory and cycle count activities to ensure accuracy of A, B and C inventory records and to confirm variances / adjustments are within established tolerances.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Research and Development personnel on new model year boat configuration as well as options to ensure all feature costs are properly documented and accurately costed.
- Prepare proposed model year (and occasional running change) product and option pricing in support of sales.
- Prepare and maintain monthly reconciliation of inventories – Raw Material, Work In Progress and Finished Goods to ensure General Ledger and Sub-Ledger balances are fully reconciled.
- Calculate and report to leadership on Cost of Goods Sold variances, root causes of variances, action plans to mitigate variances, value of production entries.
- Supports organization-wide cost out initiative tracking, key performance indicators, executive dashboards, departmental budget adherence and other relevant activities / reports to be defined.
- Assist and support forecast and budget preparation activities for model and calendar years.
- Responsible for all Fixed Asset accounting and reporting including acquisition, depreciation and disposal along with all associated journal entries, analysis and certification of accuracy.
- Prepares the annual Property Tax Returns based on Fixed Asset and associated information.
- Supports the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, and supporting analyses (both defined and ad hoc), along with meaningful commentary to explain results/variances to various levels within the organization.
- Ensures that cost accounting reporting requirements and deadlines are met timely and efficiently.
- Will work with VP of Finance and other business leaders to provide consultative support for business improvement initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports and recommendations.